What is recycled polyamide?
Polyamide is a synthetic material from which, among other things, functional fibres for textiles are obtained. The polyamide used in mediven cotton* consists of 60 percent recycled raw material obtained from polyamide production.
What properties does recycled polyamide have?
With the compression stocking mediven cotton*, medi is the first manufacturer to use a certified recycled polyamide yarn in compression therapy. Fabrics and garments made from recycled polyamide yarn have the same good properties as those made from conventional polyamide. They are:
- lighter than cotton or polyester
Thanks to the excellent moisture control, sweating in compression stockings is reduced.** As a functional fibre, the recycled polyamide wicks moisture and water vapour away to the outside - for a dry and fresh feeling on the leg.
More about the thermoregulation of mediven cotton*
Resource-saving with a seal: Our recycled polyamide is GRS-certified***.
The material and manufacturing process of the recycled polyamide yarn meet high ecological and social standards at an international level - in terms of sustainability for people and the environment.
The Global Recycled Standard (GRS) is the world's leading standard for recycled materials and identifies materials that are demonstrably recycled and sustainably processed:
The recycled material used must be traceable to its origin: The manufacturer must state and document exactly in which production process the material originated as waste. In the case of the yarn used in mediven cotton*, this is the in-house production of our polyamide yarn supplier.
- Companies to be certified must have an environmental management system that documents the annual planning and achievement of the following environmental requirements within the company.
- Targets for reducing electricity and water consumption, wastewater, CO2 emissions and waste must be set and tracked.
- It is forbidden to use problematic substances that endanger the health of employees or the environment.
- Among other things, forced labour, slave labour or human trafficking are prohibited - employment is voluntary.
- Child labour is prohibited.
- Workers have freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining.
- There is no discrimination.
- Safe and hygienic working conditions are required.
- Workers are paid fairly and with a living wage.
- Regular working hours do not exceed 48 hours per week, workers have at least one day off and overtime is reduced to a maximum of 12 hours per week.
The polyamide yarn used in mediven cotton* consists of 60 percent recycled raw material obtained from polyamide production. The process is also transparent - it meets all traceability requirements. The result: saved resources and benefits for the environment!
By the way: the manufacturing process of the polyamide yarn contained in mediven cotton* produces fewer CO2 emissions - and the production waste and consumption of fossil materials are lower.
Why does mediven cotton* not bear the GRS seal?
In order to bear the GRS seal on the product, the final product must consist of at least 50 percent recycled material. With mediven cotton*, we use a polyamide yarn (share of approx. 51 percent) with a recycled content of 60 percent. In addition, we use pure organic cotton (share of approx. 27 percent) and compression-giving elastane (approx. 22 percent). Therefore, we do not quite reach the required recycled content of 50 percent.
How can I be sure that the material does not contain any harmful substances?
No chemical materials that affect the sustainability of the final product are used in the production of the yarn. Within the Standard 100 certification of recycled materials by OEKO-TEX, it is also checked whether harmful substances are contained. In addition, the origin of the recycled material must be stated.
The GRS certification of our suppliers also ensures that the required standards are met and maintained: Our suppliers are re-audited and re-certified every year.
Find the right compression stocking with just a few clicks
Round knit mediven compression garments for treating veins
How to look after compression stockings correctly?
* Intended purpose: mediven cotton
Round-knitted medical compression stocking used for compression of the lower extremities, mainly for the treatment of disorders of the venous system.
** UNI EN ISO 62
*** Yarn used in mediven cotton is GRS-certified by the yarn supplier. GRS = Global Recycled Standard (www.textileexchange.org)