What is a rheumatologist?
Rheumatologists specialise in the diagnosis of and therapy for rheumatic diseases. Rheumatologists work in specialist practices or clinics. They come from the fields of internal medicine, orthopaedics or paediatrics and adolescent medicine.
What do rheumatologists do?
Rheumatologists treat the following diseases:
- Wear and tear or age-related rheumatic diseases such as arthrosis / osteoarthritis or degenerative spinal diseases such as facet joint arthrosis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis ((chronic inflammation of various joints (polyarthritis) caused by autoimmune diseases and occurring in episodes): patients suffer from swollen, painful and deformed joints, especially in the fingers and hands.
- Psoriatic arthritis (chronic joint inflammation caused by autoimmune diseases and associated with psoriasis).
- Other chronic, autoimmune inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system such as connective tissue diseases (collagenases) and Bekhterev disease (chronic inflammatory and painful disease, with stiffening of the spine).
- Fibromyalgia and other rheumatic diseases of the soft tissues.
- Gout and other metabolic disorders that lead to rheumatic complaints.
Rheumatism doctor: Treatment options
Rheumatic diseases are diagnosed by taking a medical history, doing a physical examination and detecting genetic markers and antibodies in the blood. Different imaging procedures such as ultrasound, X-ray, magnetic resonance imaging, computer tomography and scintigraphy are also used in the diagnosis of rheumatism.
The most common treatment methods in rheumatology are:
- Punctures and operations:
to restore mobility and relieve pain with rheumatological joint damage.
- Medical aids:
Provision of orthoses (orthopaedic splints to maintain joint function).
tailored medicinal therapy for rheumatic diseases.
- Pain therapy:
medicinal treatment supported by psychological, physiotherapeutic and ergotherapy measures.
- Physiotherapy and ergotherapy:
to improve mobility and strengthen the muscles, as well as to teach joint-friendly activities.
- Nutrition therapy:
to relieve discomfort such as pain and stiffness through anti-inflammatory nutrition.
Gonarthrosis - Causes of osteoarthritis of the knee and tips for patients
Supports can contribute towards a successful treatment of arthritis
Learn here which type of sport is most suitable for you
Health personnel will make the diagnosis and can prescribe medical aids, e.g. from medi if necessary.
Your medical retailer will fit them individually for you.