For a comfortable microclimate of the skin
The best possible skin microclimate is decisive for the comfort in wear of a soft support and thus for the patient's compliance.
Therefore, medi's supports are made of breathable materials and also ensure reliable moisture wicking of perspiration and protection of the skin's own moisture. The integrated Clima Comfort technology transports moisture away from the surface of the skin to stop the skin cooling down.
Two factors in medi's supports ensure an optimum microclimate for the skin.
Clever construction – because each therapeutically relevant element is developed with the skin's microclimate in mind.
New material technology – Clima Comfort provides for optimum moisture regulation. The moisture wicking and breathable medi Airtex material also ensures a reliable temperature balance in medi's braces.
How moisture regulation works best:
- The patient should wear the product next to his skin rather than over clothing. Otherwise Clima Comfort loses its effect because cotton stores moisture.
- If the product is only rarely washed, residues such as skin grease, sweat and skin scales remain in the fabric. These clog up the knit, which also causes Clima Comfort to lose its effect.
If supports are not comfortable to wear, it is guaranteed that patients will not enjoy wearing them. One reason for poor comfort in wear is the support's bad fit in flexor regions such as the hollow of the knee.
medi's supports, such as the elbow support Epicomed, the ankle support Levamed or the Genumedi knee support, have integrated so-called comfort zones to make sure this doesn't happen. The term Comfort Zone describes an area that matches the movements of the body as closely as possible thanks to its particularly soft and elastic knit. These special zones prevent the support from cutting into the flexor surfaces of the joints and avoid unnecessary pressure being exerted on sensitive skin areas.
This makes the support considerably more comfortable to wear while ensuring the same therapeutic functionality, which has been proved to boost compliance.
- For example, patients wearing Genumedi shouldn't cross their legs or bend them further than to an angle of 70°, because otherwise the material has no room and cuts into the skin.
- The position of the products should always be changed frequently to prevent swelling.
Wearers of lumbar supports, in particular, often find them uncomfortable when sitting down.
As a rule, this leads to the situation in which the patient only wears the prescribed support rarely, if at all.
The anatomical fastener and tailored cut of the Lumbamed lumbar orthoses give the wearer maximum room for movement and optimum comfort in wear. The special tailored cut of the front of the support allows the patient to sit comfortably without obstructing the circulation or changing the position of the support. The orthosis stays in the correct position because it is not moved by contact with the thighs.
The following aspects should also be considered:
- Is the support in the right position? Is it perhaps too low? If so, the patient can lose body tension, with the result that the support slips down and cuts into the skin.
- Is the support perhaps too high? In this case, the patient also loses body tension, so the tummy protrudes over the edge of the fastener and presses down on it.
The product slips on the patient
Anybody who constantly has to correct the position of his support or orthosis while they are playing sports or are on the move will certainly not wear it for long. All medi's products are perfectly moulded to the human anatomy to guarantee a perfect fit, unimpeded activity and a successful therapeutic effect.
All medi's supports convince their wearers with their outstanding fit and their special fabric that further reduces wrinkling. Furthermore, many of medi's products have integrated components that guarantee the optimum fit and prevent the support from slipping down.
For example, an integrated non-slip system in the Genumedi knee support ensures the optimum fit, even during prolonged activity. The integrated silicone grips guarantee the correct fit. However, if the skin is too dry, the non-slip system cannot take effect. There are special care products from medi for this.
Physioglide hinges that mimic the roll / glide movement of the natural knee joint together with air-filled condyle pads and soft grip padding material ensure the optimum fit of the M.4 knee braces and stop them slipping down. However, wearing the product over trousers and not in direct contact with the skin leads to the situation in which our cohesive padding material cannot exert its effect.